Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week two, into the new year...

Why can't I find time to blog? It is a subject I revisit often. :/

Moving on.

So this last week commenced "WEEK TWO" of the school year. I've got to say, it started off terribly. The boy was suppose to start his "special education public preschool" class, and quite frankly I have been sick about it all summer, knowing it was coming up. But the 22nd rolled around, and my heart wasn't in it. I hadn't even registered him. I knew I had to, but it was causing me physical pain. I went to pick up the papers early that day, and it took ALL DAY to do it. I have never seen so much paper work for one small child to start somewhere. And it was very disorganized. No one could seem to answer my questions, and each person had a different answer if the questions were answered, and UGH!!!! Finally though... it was done. I decided to start him on Tuesday.


This is him on his first day. Ready to go...

Tuesday rolled around and I couldn't figure out where we were suppose to go, and with each person I asked, I again got a different answer, or a wave of the hand directing me "over there somewhere". So I went over there, and waited. The time that a teacher was suppose to be out came and went. Finally a lovely lady asked "can I help you"?  She was a special ed teacher too, but sadly NOT my boy's. She told me his teacher was running late, and that she was on crutches. So we waited... Eventually the teacher came out. We walked the boy to school, it being his first day and all. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he shared a class with 5 little girls, 4 of whom shared his diagnosis. I fell in love with them all. The teacher seemed a little surly, but I trusted all would be fine, and without even a backwards glance to his mama, the boy was off to play.

Wednesday came, and I could tell the teacher was struggling to keep control because she was on crutches. Her aide couldn't hold everyones hand. I asked if I could help take him to class, and the teacher said "no, that is why I have two hands". So... I let him go.

The boy, and sissy before class. He is anxious to go in. And finally off he goes with teacher. Day 2.


So... day 2 seemed to go off without a hitch, until I got him home. This is what I saw.


Bruised wrist...

It looked like, to me, and my mama friends, that he had been squeezed too hard. See the )( looking red mark in the bruised area. That looks like finger marks to me. :( My heart immediately dropped. I called the school right away, and spoke with the principal. I just wanted her to be aware of the situation. She recommended I speak with the teacher. So I went in, only to find that the teacher had left for the day. I decided to show the principal and have it documented. She took a picture after learning that I too had taken some.

The next morning I spoke with the teacher and her attitude bothered me. I said "I know that my boy likes to go his own direction, and is a force of nature, but can you guys just try to be more careful with him". I also asked if she knew how it happened, but she said she didn't know. All I know is... I didn't send him to school like that. And to hear her say in a "what are you gonna do about it" tone... "Sorry", with eyebrows raised. I was bummed. River doesn't have the words to tell me what had happened, and I AM his voice. I am not calling child abuse, but I am calling for awareness.

River did not act afraid to go to class that day, so I let him go. Once again I asked if I could walk him in. Once again I was denied. However as we were walking away I realized my girl still had his backpack, so we turned around to go give it to the teachers, and the custodian was locking the gate, and would not let us go in. Guess what else we saw? MY CHILD on the playground. ALL.BY. HIMSELF! I stood there to see what was going to happen. Sure enough the aide lady came out to retreive him about 15 seconds later. But it was the longest 15 seconds of my life. That custodian guy could have been a creep who snatched up my child. You never know when people are gonna show their scary side. I left the backpack in the office, and we went on with our day.

That afternoon the teachers attitude has done a turn around. She was in CYOA mode. She told me that I would see that the boy had a red mark on his chin, and that was becuz to prevent him from doing a full on face plant she didn't want to grab his wrist, so she grabbed some other part of him, and he still fell. I GET IT! He is strong, he is active. And sometimes it has got to be like choosing the lesser evil. Let him crack his head open, or grab his wrist. But I just didn't believe that his wrist has to be grabbed so hard.

Day 4... By now this had been the longest week of my life. On this day, the teacher asked us to walk the boy to class. Perhaps she had seen the error of her ways. She told me that she had to be careful with my boy cuz she could get really attached to him. She said he is very social, a quick learner, uses lots of words, interacts with her, and is the only one who doesn't look at her like she is a blank wall or a TV. Finally... a break through. :) At last I feel like it might be ok for him to be there.

I know that public schools are sometimes wonderful places, but in our area, our town, I don't feel that way.
I would love to go to a smaller town, or one where the schools had better ratings. So far, my boy has had a rocky start, and my mama heart has been sad. But I am praying for a turn around. River loves to keep busy, and at home he is bored half the time, and I guess I don't have the stamina to keep him busy. When he gets out of school he is tired. In a couple weeks he starts a private preschool, where he will be in an inclusion class 2 days a week after he gets out of his morning programs. I wonder if he will be able to hold up. Ha! We'll see. It doesn't have to be permanent, I just like the idea of him having a "typical" experience, instead of always being put into a special program. But if he is too tired, it may not last. After all he is just a little fella. He has his whole life to go to school and be a big boy.

This weekend we just hung around home, and puddled! It was HOT, it was HUMID! I always hear people say "Oohhhh, San Diego. It has great weather year round". These people are so misguided! Ha! It is a very overrated area. Unless you are at the coast... summers are no fun.

Today, in the blazing heat, with no A/C, we decided to make cupcakes. :) It made the girl happy. I used a recipe I had not used before. It tasted ok. Also, the icing started to melt. Ha! But it was something to do. :)

They looked perdy. :)

This week I will be trying to kick start my metabolism. Apparently it is nonexistent. :( Four weeks ago I joined a gym. I have been faithful to go as often as I can. This week I hope to go 5 days a week. For 3 weeks I went 4 days, and one of the weeks I could only go 2. But now that the chicks are in school I can have a little time to go and get a good workout 5 days a week, and try to do some walking also. I also think I have to change what and how often I eat. Three meals a day is not working, or something. I think I may need to eat every 2 or 3 hours, smaller meals, or shakes. The reason why is because... I weighed in on Friday after doing this now for 4 weeks, and I was so sad to discover I HAD GAINED 8 LBS. I seriously hope I am premenstrual, cuz that was like a kick to the gut! :( How does that even happen? And for the record I only had 1, ONE cupcake. And we certainly don't have food around like that all the time. Ever since I have gotten thyroid illness so many other things about me have gotten jacked up too. :( I really need to, and want to lose weight. Pray for me, friends! :)

I hope you all have a great week. I hope that we do too. Week 3.... HERE WE COME! Thanks for stopping by. God Bless!

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

How scary!!! I really hope that teacher is more gentle from now on. All I could think while reading your post is how scary!

I hope this week goes much better for you. :)

Shirley Slee said...

Praying for your son, I'm so sorry you had such a rough start! Poor baby, his wrist looked very serious! I'm proud of you for speaking up for him, your a great mother, and always trust your intuition!

~she~ said...

I'm a little behind on my blog reading...trying to catch up.

I just don't understand about that teacher. I am an early childhood education teacher and have never seen anything like that. I worked in an integrated preschool program for a while (half typical, half special needs). The teacher that worked with me was so awesome! You need a teacher like that. Special Ed teachers are expected to have a special kind of patience and should not be hired without it. The playground incident and unexplained bruise are unacceptable. I suggest you look for a program that would welcome and love your son while making you feel totally comfortable. I'm glad the teacher is turning around but she still doesn't seem deserving of that job. Sorry for the rant...I have a special place in my heart for kids like yours. I didn't even know he had special needs until this post. Good luck with schooling...I know it's an important decision.