My boys public preschool lost his shoes today. I don't even know how that is possible with only 4 kids and 2 teachers, in one small room. :/ Honestly is bugs the crud out of me. He was late coming out of the room, and I looked at his teacher and asked should I be worried, because she DIDN'T volunteer where he was. She said he would be out soon. Eventually he did come out with the aide. And... he was in his socks. I said "where are his shoes"? The teacher said "they are lost". I said "well I am going to go look for them". She said "we will call you if we find them". I said "no, I will go look". I found one. The other is lost in the world. I hope it is in another childs back pack. But I don't think it should have even happened. I said "when did you last see him wearing them"? She said vaguely... "well, he was sitting over there, and I saw him chewing on one, and the next time I looked they were gone". I have the feeling that if I wouldn't have noticed... DUH... they would not have told me at all. They were not volunteering anything, and acting reluctant when I wanted to look. :/ He had to miss his afternoon preschool because he didn't have another pair (pathetic), and I had to go get other ones... plus with the whole looking for shoes fiasco our schedule was totally OFF! And again the teacher gave me one of her "sorry's"... like "I don't REALLY care, but I have to say that". Grrr!!!!!
So today is Day 18... Again, I haven't researched a fact to share. I will... but I think the reason I am avoiding is because most days I forget my boy has Down syndrome. It is not who he is. I mean yes, he has it, but it does not have him. Ya know? He is so much more than that to me. But yet without it he wouldn't be as magical as he is. UGH... talking in circles. :) Today, I heard a woman ask another parent of a child with Ds what he had. The woman said "is he autistic"? And the mother answered "no, he's Down's". I was so bothered by that. I just never think of discussing my guy that way. And the thing is... this month I am blogging for Ds awareness. I want other people to be aware that people who have Ds are so much more alike "typical" people than they are different. I don't want my guy stereo typed. He is just like all little boys.
So, this is what I have to share... I love my boy. And I wish everyone knew this kind of JOY. Both of my children bring me so much joy. Both are quirky, and wildly funny, and beautiful... one happens to have Down syndrome.
My loves!
I'll see you back tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by. :) God bless you.

4 comments:
So, So sweet what beautiful children! Your daughter is so blessed to have such a special little brother, she will have so much compassion, patients, as an adult. Your doing such a great job Cory!
I cannot believe that your son's shoes were lost and the teachers didn't seem to care more than they did. I'm not involved in the situation at all yet I'm getting very annoyed and frustrated at this school. How messy is their room that they can't find a pair of shoes????
The other day I was at the grocery store and ran into one of my daughter's classmates. We got discussing school and I mentioned that Max would not be going to this school since they don't have a special ed program (it's a private school). The grandma looked at Max and also asked if he was autistic. It caught me by surprise. I think it's obvious that he had Ds, but maybe not.
P.S. Crappy about the shoes!
Post a Comment