Today is Day 27, and I am still doing the challenge for Down syndrome awareness. Last year I did this on Facebook, because I didn't have a blog yet.
Would you think it wrong of me to say that I am glad that this challenge is almost over. I think that next year I will be better. I can gather more information, research more stories. That is not to say that there isn't more to say, and plenty of stories NOW to share. THERE ARE!
There is the newest, latest, greatest test for Down syndrome during early pregnancy, so that parents can make the decision to terminate earlier than ever before. GAG! That post is coming.
There is the severe injustice, and inhumane treatment of children just like my boy, and other differently abled children in Eastern Europe. They are being sent to slaughter, and whole countries are turning a blind eye.
There is telling you every little illness, and trait that people like my boy may or may not experience.
I could be like some of my sweet friends and have guest bloggers, but this year I am snooty, and I don't want to. And I may not want to next year. And after reading what I have to say, people may not want to guest blog. Ha! The reason why is because I find myself to be rare. I didn't greive when my boy was born. I tend to parent him just like I do my girl. I don't feel burdened. And that is not to say that other parents do. I am sure that that was the complete wrong term to use. But when I see alot of posts from other parents, I see contradictions. It is like they are giving back handed compliments. They love love love their child, but there is this underlying struggle or conflict that I can't quite put my finger on. So, do I want those views expressed on my blog. I don't know. I know that those feelings are common, and ok. But ....
That brings me to why I am glad that this challenge is almost over... The reason? Because people who have Down syndrome are awesome. They just are. And if you are a super self absorbed person going through life thinking that you are "normal" and "perfect", and that you have the power to say who is worthy of life, and who is less than and not deserving, then you are missing a blessing, not to mention seriously deluded. To me there just isn't that much to say about Ds. ANY child that you could have has the potential to have challenges or health issues because that is life. Nothing is guaranteed'. Either you want to be a parent or you don't. It is really as simple as that. To me this month truly is about advocating for our kids. To me that means lifting them UP. And NO, not making everything sound like rainbows and unicorns, but... when you have a child, no matter who that is, you just do what you need to do to take care of them. And you realize that your child is like every child. They want the same things. That should be the point.
My child had Down syndrome. This did not surprise God. He knew everything about my boy, before he was even brought into existence. Diabilities are a part of life. Whether they happen organically, or through an accident, they do happen, and it all is what it is. Part of God's plan. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment