Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 6

Hello, friends...
Today what I have to share isn't so much a "fact" as it is a "standard of behaving".
It is this... 
Below is the proper use of language for “Down syndrome”:
• Down vs. Down’s - NDSS uses the preferred spelling, Down syndrome, rather than Down’s syndrome. While Down syndrome is listed in many dictionaries with both popular spellings (with or without an apostrophe s), the preferred usage in the United States is Down syndrome. This is because an “apostrophe s” connotes ownership or possession. Down syndrome is named for the English physician John Langdon Down, who characterized the condition, but did not have it. The AP Stylebook recommends using “Down syndrome,” as well.
• People with Down syndrome should always be referred to as people first. Instead of “a Down syndrome child,” it should be “a child with Down syndrome.” Also avoid “Down’s child” and describing the condition as “Down’s,” as in, “He has Down’s.”
• Down syndrome is a condition or a syndrome, not a disease.
• People “have” Down syndrome, they do not “suffer from” it and are not “afflicted by” it.
• While it is unfortunately clinically acceptable to say “mental retardation,” you should use the more socially acceptable “intellectual disability”. NDSS strongly condemns the use of the word "retarded" in any derogatory context. Using this word is hurtful and suggests that people with disabilities are not competent.
 
There you have it... This is a great bit of information in my opinion. My boy is my boy, he is not Down syndrome, although he does have it. Just like you wouldn't refer to someone who has cancer as "Cancer so-and-so"... you should NEVER refer to children/adults/PEOPLE who have Down syndrome as "Down's kid/person, etc. And the word RETARDED... it is such an ugly word. I know people who have used it, and it is pathetic really, because right up to the point where that word escapes their mouth, they look pretty smart. After that all I can think is "what an ass", there went the smart status.
 
Anyway... hope your week is going great. I will be back tomorrow. :)
 
See that boy in the middle? That's right... MY BOY! Maken apple something... JUST LIKE HIS FRIENDS!
 

1 comment:

~she~ said...

Thanks for the info. I always appreciate a heads-up on how to be more politically correct. I believe I say "Down's," but now I'm not sure. I thought that was proper.

Regarding the word retarded, it's a word that's used around here a lot. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, a regional thing, or what. I actually corrected my mom for using it last week. Her parents use an even worse word, which I won't share. They don't realize it's offensive...it's their generation. My great-grandfather still said "colored" before he died. It's how they were brought up.

The younger generation here uses the word retarded to apply to a situation, not a person. "That's so retarded that we have to be there at 7:00 AM." It will eventually become like "the N word," although people use that word around here when talking to one another. Hubby hears it in basketball A LOT. They even call him that. I'm not a person who gets offended but I find it odd that they use the word so freely then get offended if they see it or hear it somewhere else.

Wow, sorry about the super long comment on your blog. I briefly thought I was writing my own blog post. Ha ha! :) I'll stop now!