This marks our 7th day of the month, and over on FB I came across an interesting little bit... here it is:
One of the five apples is green. One American in five has a disability, making people with disabilities the largest minority group and the only group that anyone can join at any time: at birth or through an accident, illness, or the aging process.
A green apple is more like red apples than different; a person with a disability is more like people without disabilities than different. The U.S. Developmental Disabilities Act states, "Disability is a natural part of the human experience..." - Kathie Snow (her blog Disability is Natural)
And this is soooo true. A person is a person is a person. Period! And the saying "more alike than different" couldn't be more right on. People with Down syndrome and other types of disabilities have hopes, dreams, likes, dislikes, and all around FEELINGS just like the rest of the general population. Why, because they are ONE OF US! And the ideas that many people have, especially the ones hoping to become parents, about having a PERFECT child, and then possibly terminating the moment that dream is squashed is pathetic! What is perfect? What is normal? What is typical? I have never met a person who measures up yet, and then again I have met many who all seem to have a part of them that is "perfect" . If you take the time to get to know anyone for any lenght of time, and in depth you will see the quirky side of them. And even if you have a child that is close to the idea that you have created in your own mind... it could all be snatched away through cancer, or some sort of an accident. OR... for all the hope and ideas that you have for you child, like "she will be a girly, girl", or "he will play football", or "I can't wait to take him hunting", etc. etc.... Or you might see yourself in the future with lots of grandchildren... guess what, they might not be anything like "your idea", and your child could end up not wanting to have any grandchildren. NOTHING should be taken for granted, and I think that alot of people do that these days.
Ok, I will be done for today. See you tomorrow. Hope your week has been great. God bless you!
He IS perfection!
The Bible says that we were created in God's image... that means MY BOY!!!!

1 comment:
Well said! I had not heard the apple comparison/statistics!
Post a Comment