Sunday, October 2, 2011

This month...

This month, October, is Down syndrome awareness month. I will be doing a 31 for 21 blog challenge. That means that I will be posting some sort of information daily about Down syndrome on  here each day.

I have already failed. :) I forgot to start posting yesterday. But it was a momentary glitch, and you can believe it won't happen again.

Todays fact is this: 97% of brothers/sisters, ages 9-11, said they love their sibling who has Ds, according to the new study published by Dr. Brian Skotko. One of the reasons parents chose to end their pregnancy, upon learning that they carry a child with Ds, is because they don't think it is fair to their other children. Sadly, they did not know it is just the opposite.

As a mother to a child who is typical, and who happens to be an older sister to a little brother who happens to have Down syndrome, I can attest that this is TRUE!!! My girl loves her brother to the moon and back, because of him she is a better her. He has softened her heart to the people who have it a little tougher, and struggle a little more than others. She doesn't care that he has Ds, to her he is just her brother, and she wants many more siblings "just like him". Praise God.

I have the button to the right for the 31 for 21 challenge, but if that doesn't work, hopefully this will... HERE. They are doing a link up, so there are lots of great blogs to check out, so GO!

I will leave you with this...

Happy Fall!
This is the face of Down syndrome.
This is a boy who is greatly loved by his family.

God Bless You! See you tomorrow...

2 comments:

Shirley Slee said...

Awe love this post! Thanks for opening my heart to Down Syndrome! He's so handsome!!

~she~ said...

I can't believe someone would terminate a pregnancy because it's not fair to their other children. Unreal! I told the doctor I didn't even want to know if DS was a possibility. I would still choose the child and I would still love him.